Monday, November 18, 2013

Won't You Be My Neighbor~

WOW World Neighbor's, as read in chapter 33, is doing really great things...and I've never heard of them! One of my favorite things they do is an environmental piece and the belief that "sustainable development is a process that local people themselves must lead."
(pg 710).


It makes sense, if the community members don't have their hands in it, how can they be invested enough in it to continue to make it work beyond implementation. One of the best classes I ever took was Crimes Against the Environment in the criminology dept. at USM. I learned so much about our planet and our own accountability in the sustainability of our earth. I really took for granted so much, one of the easiest things we can do is to put everything that plugs into regular outlets on power strips.

You keep the strip off when you aren't using for instance a lamp, and you will see your power bill go down. When I started doing this I bought four $5 power strips at the evil "W" (Walmart, which is an oxymoron in trying to live protecting the planet and so many other levels that I can't get into right now), anyway in the first month I saw my bill go down $10 and the next month even more as I got into the habit of using them and making sure they were off when I wasn't using the lamp etc. The strips paid for themselves within three months! The trick is making using them and turning that red switch off a habit. Give it a shot and remember that human's generally need at least a month to form habits, or routines that are new, even those that are positive!

Another aspect that caught my eye was on pg 720 where they talk about holistic programming. As a massage therapist I practice my work with clients with a holistic mindset.










For example, the client as a whole person is addressed and not just the injury they come in with. When the individual and all aspects of their sustainability are focused on, a successful outcome is achieved. This takes effort, the individual or community members have to be actively involved in the process. I have massage clients who never change anything about their lives that would better it including their mental and physical health. Some have back problems and weight issues, some have alcoholism in their family. While it's hard to watch people hurting themselves and not be able to fix it, for that hour they are with me they are practicing holistic well-being and that means a whole lot.

Three to four years ago, I was a lot tamer about all of this planetary and holistic well-being sustainability stuff. I knew a lot, but I wasn't very invested in implementing any big changes for my own life. Now, I have a long way to go to embody all that I want for myself and my family but it's about the journey...and I'm diggin it!

Shameless self plug:
https://sites.google.com/site/akneadedsolution/

World Neighbors on the web:
http://www.wn.org/site/c.buITJ7NRKsLaG/b.6248395/k.651C/World_Neighbors_Home.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl2HbtjQQqk

Holistic Massage info:
http://www.massagetherapy.com/articles/index.php/article_id/1830/Dimensions-of-Holistic-Massage

Save the planet and your pocket:
http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/latest/power-strips-for-chargers#slide-15

Flic "Walmart: The High Cost of Low Prices"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jazb24Q2s94


2 comments:

  1. I love how you started using an energy saving tip that is so simple. I myself am one who always unplugs every single thing when I finish using it. This includes lights, microwaves, toasters and TV and internet. It may be a complete pain to wait 10 minutes for the internet to start back up every time I need to use it, but it really makes a difference. It's great you were able to get such a positive learning experience from your class because we know every little bit counts. Sometimes it's the smallest change that can make the biggest difference. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I think we forget about the little things that can make a big difference in the long run like the electrical strips you were talking about. I also appreciate that you talked about how you look at your clients holistically. I think that is so important. Most of the problems that people have do not happen in a vacuum and it is important to realize all of the things that can and do effect us. Also, loved the shameless self plug!

    ReplyDelete